Here are the recipes for our up coming week. Some maybe new, some might have been used before.
Sunday we'll be having a whole chicken. I got them for .59 cents a pound this week. I actually bought 3 for our grandma and 4 for us. Here's a recipe we haven't tried yet.
Juicy Roasted Chicken
* 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
* salt and black pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon onion powder, or to taste
* 1/2 cup margarine, divided
* 1 stalk celery, leaves removed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place chicken in a roasting pan, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle inside and out with onion powder. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of the remaining margarine around the chicken's exterior. Cut the celery into 3 or 4 pieces, and place in the chicken cavity.
3. Bake uncovered 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove from heat, and baste with melted margarine and drippings. Cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.
Thursday we'll be having kielbasa, potatoes, and cabbage. I am using this recipe but using kielbasa in the ham's place.
SAUTEED HAM, POTATOES & CABBAGE
2 lb. ham steak, diced
4 lg. potatoes, diced & cooked
1 head cabbage, quartered & cooked
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Melt butter and oil together in large skillet. Add ham, saute about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and saute another 5 minutes. Cut up cabbage into bite-size pieces and add to skillet. Salt and pepper to taste. Saute until browned (about 10 minutes). Serves 4.
Saturday we'll be having chicken and rice, I'll likely use leftover chicken from Sunday.
Creamy chicken and rice casserole
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups uncooked instant white rice *
2 cups frozen broccoli flowerets
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
Stir the soup, water, paprika and black pepper in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the rice and broccoli. Reduce the heat to low. Return the chicken to the skillet. Sprinkle the chicken with additional paprika and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked though.
*For a creamier dish, decrease the rice to 1 1/2 cups.
Happy cooking this week!